Tuesday, June 15, 2010

46/365

Did you know that red is the first color babies can see? Yeah me either.

I started my Early Childhood Education (not development! whoops!) class yesterday and was a little unsure of the whole thing. But we got a lot more in depth today and I realized a lot of the stuff we're learning will actually make me a better parent.

Our main focus is play is the work of young children. Playing is how they learn best. Not being forced or pushed into reading, math, and writing skills, but simply by playing. However, you need to use purposeful play. Games that are teaching them colors, shapes, and numbers. Songs that help them with physical development, fine and gross motor skills. What I also found interesting is NOT giving your child a coloring book. By giving them a pre-drawn picture, you're taking away their creativity. It closes them down, and suddenly puts the pressure on them to color in the lines, and have everything perfect.

We've learned how to identify the right preschool and how important sending your child to preschool is. We've read research on brain development and PIES development. (Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, Social)

I have a few years until I'll be a mom, but it's so fun to learn the things that will make me a better mom. These things that will help me encourage my kids to learn, and help me learn how to make learning fun for them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment